We were exhausted after being up until 3 AM. Pam wasn’t as bad because for her it was just midnight. I don’t remember when I was last awake at that hour, but I was probably still a nurse and on call. This isn’t something I do just on random days. There was nothing pressing for morning since I had already decided there would be no CrossFit.

I was awake at 7.38 AM. I only still know this because the first thought in my head was, I still have a few minutes before I need to be at the box, can I make it? And the immediate next thought was a resounding NO and so I went to the kitchen and made coffee.

Everyone was eventually awake and we found some breakfast and noted what foods were not available for those who were raised in the same house and yet, no longer eat the same food. We waited patiently to hear about Cheri’s luggage. When that didn’t happen, we waited impatiently. Finally, I called the airport to see if anyone had walked next door to the previously locked United room to see if her luggage was there. We weren’t permitted to talk to local people. Everything is an 800 number.

Cheri got to speak to a really nice woman from Delta living in another state. She gave permission for us to go shopping so Cheri could have some clean clothes and a fresh toothbrush. The luggage was still in an unknown location but they would find it. Really. So we went to Walmart and Cheri picked up a few things. Then we went to Harris Teeter and picked up some food.

We were really too tired to do much more than that. We laughed and talked and crafted and played games and had a great time, but we were waiting to hear about luggage. Eventually, some guy called and was looking for directions to my house. He had a suitcase he wanted to deliver. It would be here before seven PM. It got here before six PM. Everything was all there, but the suitcase looked like it had been either at Normandy or Dunkirk. Maybe Hamburger Hill.

We had stew for dinner and my sisters got to taste parsnips. I didn’t ask for a critique, but they did clean their plates. So I guess it was okay.

I fell asleep first and woke up first the next morning. I am not a night owl. Both of them are. I am a lark. But I was an exhausted one and wasn’t awake too long before everyone else got up.

We don’t have a lot of structure or any big plans for Sistercation. We just want to be together at least once a year. Our big adventure on this day was going to a tea room for lunch.

Time Well Spent was recommended by at least three people. I looked online to get an address and then was shocked to find I even knew where it was. We took the boys and off we went to the tea house.

Eve’s Victorian tea house was wonderful. We each got the mango iced tea which was perfect. We each got quiche, Pam got the spinach/mushroom and Cheri and I had tomato/bacon (because – bacon). It came with a side salad with homemade fancy Vidalia onion dressing and a popover served with strawberry butter. It was delicious. Then came the big, serious decision – dessert. I got strawberry shortcake while they got spice carrot cake. The entire meal was fabulous.

Then we went to the yarn store and Pam found some really pretty yarn and a fancy pattern. It is knit and looked complicated, but we were dauntless.

I was developing a blister on my toe from wearing the wrong (but cute) shoes and so we headed home. We had a silly evening laughing over crafts and games. I was again the first person to fall asleep.

Everyone was prepared for heading out to the box in the morning. Pam was going to walk. I was going to WOD. Cheri said she wanted to watch. I asked if Kim minded if she did the warm-up, as much as she could, with us. Kim was very kind and said she could play along.

We began with a row and Cheri’s total gym prepared her for this. Then we did that once dreaded and now only mildly irritating lunge down the mat and Cheri’s knee said that was a bad idea. She learned how to do cherry pickers, bear crawls, soldier kicks, and dislocates and passthroughs.

Today’s WOD as written:
Start with light weight working on form as you warm up. With coach approval, move to heavier weight. Work on jerk of your choice, can be regular or split.
5 X 3 at heavy weight

Double unders and ab mat sit ups.
Power jumps in place of double unders. But if you are anywhere close to doing double unders, start out attempting to do them.

I did just a plain jerk and didn’t try anything fancy. My one rep max is 53# but it has been a while. I worked with the small bar and Cheri tried a few strict presses as we warmed up with it. She got to touch iron. Then she sat and watched us work. It was me and two guys and they had all sorts of plates on their bars and there I was with the weenie 52# bar. But I did get my three reps each time. My heart rate would top out at low 160s and then I would rest to get it back down enough to do the three jerks, taken from the rack.

I don’t like named WODs because I suck at them. They are either grueling or supposed to be quick. I’m not quick; everything is grueling – even the easy stuff. When I saw it was 150 sit-ups I wasn’t sure I wanted to ruin Sistercation with a sore stomach for two days. But … when I whined, Kim said I could do it and just suck it up.

Then Kim did something so nice, she made a WOD for Cheri to do while we worked.

Cheri’s WOD:

1 parking lot walk/jog
10 abmat sit-ups

I can’t do double unders and so I did power jumps. Quite frankly, that is much easier than doing two or three or even four times as many single unders.

I did all the power jumps without stopping. I made it through the first 50 sit-ups without stopping and then I ran out of steam. I did less than half and had to rest twice in the 40 set. I did half and half in the 30 and 20 set. I had to pause to get my heart rate down before beginning the jumps each time. I finished in 11.22.

The most fun part for Cheri was ticking off the accomplishment of completing a round. She loved the chalk. She loved making a tick mark as she finished her round. She is going to have Monica get some chalk and a place to write since the hardwood floor seems inappropriate.

Pam got back soon after we finished up and we were all glad to get home and have some breakfast. We went to two craft stores. Everyone bought more yarn they didn’t need. We went to a junk store and the step counter people racked up some steps and we bought some junk.

We came home and laughed and played games and had time together. Dick cooked out on the grill.

I purchased a puzzle to put together and did not properly read the box. It is 1000 pieces and that’s all I looked for. I did not make sure they were all interlocking. This thing is cut crazy and you can’t tell an edge piece from anything else. At least it is a variety of colors and we decided that rather than throw it away, we would put it together with color hints and not worry about having the frame set up first.

When we ran out of good light, we went back to playing games. Cheri didn’t have enough steps, so we went for a walk. We watched and made sure that she would have enough steps before we turned around and came back home. She got her 10,000 steps in. She got her 5 miles in. And then Pam looked at her FitBit and she had 6.8 miles. So we had to walk a little bit more. We got back to the house when Pam had 7.01 miles and could be happy.

We played more game. We laughed some more. We did some crafting. I went to bed first. But I had some time this morning to type up these adventures since I was awake at 5.15 and gave up trying to fall back to sleep by 5.50. I bet I’m the first one to fall asleep again tonight.

As an added bonus, my stomach doesn’t hurt.