I’m not sure why, but I couldn’t sleep last night. I fell asleep without problem after reading for a short time. I woke up at 12.30 and had to get out of bed and make a trip to the bathroom. Then, I was wide awake. I stayed awake until 3. I usually am up by around 6-6.30 but I didn’t get up until almost 7 which wasn’t too bad.

Except … I usually have a cup of coffee while I wait for my alarm to go off and remind me to get ready. When I went at 6 AM, I got up and out the door without coffee but was home and had my coffee by 7.15 AM each day. I wasn’t sure that waiting until 9.15 for my first bit of coffee would be a good idea, but I didn’t have a whole lot of time. I am addicted to caffeine and I get sick without it.

I had my banana and Dick brewed a pot of coffee. Then I had my protein drink while I got dressed. I had 15 minutes so I poured myself a short cup of coffee which is really a whole cup of coffee or about 8 ounces. I got that down before I went to the box.

I was the only one there. Kat was a no show. She doesn’t usually look at the WOD the day before, so I don’t think it scared her away. It almost scared me away. I hated it when I read it last night. I had many options of course, because it is all scalable. But how hard do I want to work? That is really the question every time I show up.

I warmed up as proscribed. But since I had guzzled 10 ounces of protein drink and 8 ounces of coffee in less than 30 minutes, I was really worried that I might wet my pants today. And I usually drink coffee first and then protein and today it was opposite so I had residual coffee taste in my mouth. And I had a horrible workout to do. This was really messing with my newfound and imperfect positive outlook.

Today’s WOD as written:
For time:

25 pull ups
1 mile run
50 abmat sit ups
50 hand release push ups
rest 3 minutes
3 rope climbs
50 overhead walking lunges (25/10)
3 tire flips
75 air squats

WTF? Really? Yesterday, just for shits and giggles, I walked up to Harris Teeter first thing in the morning. I needed mushrooms and why not walk? It is a 5K round trip. I know how to walk. I don’t run. I actually can walk faster than I can run because I have to stop when my heart rate goes sky high. It is disheartening, as it were, but I have no idea what to do about it. My heart rate escalates quickly.

I could do all the other moves but if I put that run in there, all was lost. I didn’t want to waste the work of the WOD on simple walking. I can walk any time. What to do?

Kim said I could cut the whole thing in half and I could have. But I proposed just getting rid of the mile run completely and doing everything else with the reps as written and my modifications as needed. She countered with a parking lot walk instead of the mile.

I set up with both a green and red band for the pull-ups but used only the green. I got ten okay, then I only managed six. Rather than having to keep stopping, I added the handy red band and got nine, with the last one a struggle. But that was done.

Then I strolled the parking lot and managed to get my heart rate from 169 down to 151 while walking. I did the sit-ups. I had to pause and pant for just seconds twice and finished without any problems. Then the damn push-ups. I tried them from a raised bar and was having all sorts of problems. I put down two mats and did them has hand release push-ups, but didn’t have to get as low because the mats were there. I could manage four at a time.

I RXd the rest. The new sub offered for rope climbs was to hang on to the rope and do three knees to elbows and then lower to the ground for one rep. I managed two without stopping but then had to rest to get the third one. I hate rope climbs but at least I had my gloves – I checked twice this morning. My hands are sore enough with the gloves.

Then I did no weight overhead walking lunges ten at a time. My heart rate would go from 145 to 160 with each set. I would get it down and do the next set. I went and perched on the rim of the lightest tire and got my breath. Ryan was just pulling into the parking lot. He greeted me as he passed and I said, “Good morning, Marquis” and it took him a second to get the reference. Then he laughed. He was the person who wrote this sadistic piece of crap.

I got my three tire flips without a problem. Then it was 75 squats. Kim had been asking if I was doing the entire number and it was my goal so I kept saying yes. I did these in sets of 15 because then I could be done in five sets. But after the third set, I was sure I was going to puke. My legs were going to fall off. The room was hazy. I laid myself out on the floor and panted. I would have sold one of my children for someone to tell me to just stop at this point. Instead, I did three more sets of ten damn squats. I finished in 33.29 (I think, it might have been a different 20+ seconds).

I pushed myself really hard. I did the reps as written, except for that mile. My time was more than anyone else on the board, but not outrageously so. I did what I said I was going to do. It was horrible. I’m not sure what is going to hurt the most tomorrow. Perhaps my entire body. Maybe my hair won’t hurt. Maybe.