Life will sometimes get in my way. I can’t say I’m overly fond of it, but since my life is pretty low key, even when it goes wrong, it isn’t that bad. Case in point. I stopped knitting about a month ago and my arm is much improved. I have been doing some needlework called chicken scratch. It takes lots of white embroidery thread. I had three skeins of thread and I was up to using my last skein. It was then I noticed it was not embroidery thread but some weird thing called craft thread. I have no idea what I should use it for.

But I ran out at around 3 PM and a trip to Walmart at that time of day would put me in rush hour traffic on Dorchester. I opted to spend my evening doing something else. I actually tried knitting again last night, but only for a short period of time. I noticed no deleterious effects. I figured I could stop at Walmart on my home from the gym when it is not rush hour.

I looked at the WOD last night and then looked up my prior stuff with this workout. I was ready.

I got there today and Kat was missing. I don’t know what happened to her. But Jackson was there. He has some big test this afternoon and didn’t have to be at school until noon and so he worked out with me this morning. The oldest and youngest again.

We warmed up and got ready for the day. I was able to run today without any problem. There is still a mark on my foot from where I stepped on something, but it no longer hurts unless I step really funny. The run did not bother me.

Today’s WOD as written:
Week 5/8
Gymnastic Skill/Strength/Mobility Practice – spend 20 minutes working on your gymnastic movement chosen last week. Ask your coach for specific mobility exercises, skill practice movements, or strength movements to help you reach your goal.
Post work performed.
Pistol Squat
Rope Climb

Pull Up
Muscle Up
Handstand Walk
Box Jump

“Bear Complex”
– A Bear Complex is 7 times through this complex:
Clean + Front Squat + Push Press + Back Squat + Push Press
(The bar cannot be dropped during the entirety of the complex, or else it does not count.)
Warm up slowly and make at least 3 attempts!

I worked with pull-ups again. I started with just a green band (two inches) and warmed up with that. Then I used a blue and red combo and got a bunch, but I honestly don’t remember how many. Then I used just the blue band and squeaked out three. I worked with the blue band for the rest of the morning and got three a few more times, but couldn’t get past that without throwing too much kip movement in.

I looked up the last time we did the Bear. I wanted a 22, 32, and 42 set. I didn’t get it. I did get a 22, 27, and 33# set completed. The last time was in early December. I’ve gotten a little better. Maybe.

I started with the 33# bar and did a full bear. The hard part is slowing down from the very beginning. If I push through early, I get my heart rate too high and I can’t finish. Staying slow and steady makes it possible for me to do more work. I did realize about half way through that I could not only rest the bar on my back, but on my thighs before I did the clean.

I wanted to get to that 42# bar because it seemed like a good goal. I just wanted to try it. I had no illusions of actual success of making a full bear.

After the second round, if it was difficult, we were to stick at the same weight. I didn’t want to. I wanted that 42# bar even if it was just a little bit. I wanted to try.

My second round was with 38# and my problem wasn’t my heart rate as much as it was getting really, really dizzy. I stopped after five complexes and my heart rate was only 166. It had been 171 at the end of the first full bear. I could have maybe done another round, but my head was spinning too much and I’m deathly afraid of dropping a weight on my head. The overhead move was the limiting factor. I decided to not have a craniotomy today and just stop at five.

Then I got the 42# bar ready. My goal was three rounds or sets or whatever that thing is (apparently from the directions, it is a complex). I made it. My heart rate was 172 at the end of three, but I got to try a bigger bar. I really could touch and go and didn’t have to do it from the hang. I made it to the place I wanted. I win.

I looked like the Wreck of the Hesperus but I needed that embroidery floss. I had my mismatched shoes on and we thought if I was going to make it to the People of Walmart, I should go all out. I left the mismatched shoes on and took off for the store. My hair was plastered to my flushed face. I was hot and sweaty. I walked through the place like I owned it only to find they were out of white floss.

I came home and had breakfast and then a wonderful, delightful, invigorating shower. I love my life.