I had a very quiet weekend. It was overcast and every time I thought I might venture out into the world, it looked like I would be poured on and so I stayed inside. I know I won’t melt, but I hate being rained on. It did rain a few times, but not all weekend. I could have gotten out if I had really wanted to do so.

I lost a little bit of weight, but not much (0.8 pounds) but at least I didn’t gain any more. I did it simply by watching my snacking and being better about lunch. It is pretty embarrassing to know what to do and claim you want the results and then not do what has to be done. If wishes were horses, beggars would ride. And I would lose the extra pounds I gained while not paying attention.

This is my last day at the box for a week since we are going to go on a little vacation. I’m worried about the weight thing even more here. I will miss at least three and maybe four workouts and I will be eating in restaurants. This is not looking good. I know I can work out with just body weight stuff and I know there are even workouts written. I also know I don’t do them. If I don’t go to class, I don’t do anything. Well, I walk sometimes, but when you are used to more strenuous work, that’s not enough.

My left arm continues to hurt and I believe I may have come upon a better answer. I have been knitting. A lot. Hours and hours and hours and hours of knitting. I have done some crochet, but I’ve been mostly knitting. And I hold my left arm in the same position for hours and hours and hours. I believe that may be at least part of the reason my arm hurts so much. Knitting keeps me from eating. I’m unsure of how to manage my life.

But it is Monday and I went to the gym per protocol. When I looked last night, I sighed. We were predicted to have pretty much constant rain beginning around 2 AM and the WOD contained a run. I don’t run. But I especially don’t run in the rain. Just shit. Last week was sunny all week. And now, in the rain, a run.

It was not raining this morning but it was overcast. Threatening rain. Not a beautiful morning. But what the hell. It was me and Kat today with Kim coaching. All of us are having weight issues right now. Sweating like a crazy person might help, but water weight loss just comes right back when you rehydrate. Damn.

Today’s WOD as written:
Week 2/8

Warm up your entire body thoroughly
percentages based off 90% of your 1RM
(always choose a lighter weight when unsure)
rest 3-5 minutes between sets
perform as many reps as possible on the last (+ set)
Press –
3 @ 65% 70%
3 @ 75% 80%
3+ @ 85% 90%
Post entire workout!
AMRAP in 20 minutes:
5 ring dips
5 pull ups
10 push ups
20 walking lunges (25/10) carry plate behind head
400m run
The reps are low so try to go unbroken with each movement and focus on a high cycle rate. Rest between movements if you feel you cannot complete them unbroken and push the intensity during the reps. Carry the plate behind your head and keep your elbows high and tight to work the triceps and stretch your shoulders at the same time. Try to increase your pace on the run so that you are coming back in faster than you left.

When I looked last night, it was the same percentages as last week so I looked to make sure I remembered what my weights were and I was already. But what was written was wrong and the percentages were raised and I had more math to do. My weights were 33#, 38#, and 43#. We had more trouble with the math than with the lifts. I got 3, 3, and 6 and that last one was a real struggle with my arm really cranky.

I could have done the whole AMRAP as written. But it would have really made me mad. I opted instead to go all legend and did 80% of the reps or 4, 4, 8, 16 and I never do more than a 200 meter walk. Well, if everyone else is running a mile, I will do 400 meters.

I used a 1” band for the ring dips, I used a 2” band for the first round of pull-ups and then added the 1” to it so I could keep them strict. I did push-ups off a raised bar. I did walking lunges without any weight. I walked the 200 meters.

I was hoping to get the ring dips, pull-ups, and push-ups done before my heart rate was too high, but that didn’t work. So I rested after the pull-ups and then did the push-ups and lunges and walked out the door. It was my hope that I could get my heart rate down as I walked if I walked slow enough.

I got back inside with a heart rate of low 150s and figured I would see what happened. I did the ring dips and was over 160 and knew that beginning the pull-ups at that point would be stupid. I sat for a few seconds doing box breathing and then did the pull-ups, but my heart rate was again too high and I had to sit again. Push-ups and lunges followed.

I walked, but not too fast, and got back and figured it might be smarter to rest here when my heart rate was high 150s and quickly bring it down and get the ring dips and pull-ups done, so I did that. Then I rested and did the push-ups and lunges and went for my last walk.

Since no matter what I did, I had to rest a bit when I got back, I thought it would be smarter to walk a bit faster and get back to the box faster. I did that and it seemed to work better. When I got back there was just a couple minutes left on the clock but my heart rate was still 158. So I did box breathing and then did the ring dip and pull-ups. I had time left, but my heart rate was 168.  I simply had to rest and box breathe so I did. With 30 seconds left and a still too high heart rate (but what the heck, I was almost done) I did the push-ups and got two lunges done before time was called. 3+18 for my score. I had to ask how someone managed 7+ rounds. That was 1.75 miles plus all the other stuff. Kim looked at the board and saw it was David. She said it was possible because he is 16. The power of youth. I felt better. My socks were older than him.

Back home and fed, I’m pleased with how hard I worked today and how much I scaled. I made it difficult and yet possible. I also learned more about running inside a WOD.