The most important thing I did yesterday was take a nap. I did it in my chair which wasn’t all that good for my neck, but it was heavenly. Since it was in my chair, it didn’t last that long and so I was still able to go to bed at a reasonable time and sleep all night. I’m pretty much caught up on sleep now. Blissfully wonderful.

I did get some writing done yesterday and I managed to get some knitting done. Another stripe to the afghan is finished.

What I didn’t manage to do yesterday was fix my leg. I was still walking funny by the time I crawled into bed. I put heat on it, but just once. I did try to massage the ouchie part and break up whatever mess is in there. Miraculously, when I woke up this morning, my shin bent enough to walk normally. But where I walked was into the gym. I just needed to be smart. I can do that.

Today, it was Vianca, Charlie, and me all ready for a good time. Gabe said we were going to love the WOD today. I mentioned that I love them all. It’s sort of a love/hate relationship. I said I was still crippled from Tuesday’s WOD and someone else mentioned their shin splints, too. So apparently this wasn’t just a matter of old fart, it really was not a good idea. Apparently several people are dealing with the aftermath of the WOD. I haven’t seen David since Tuesday and I assume this is why.

Warm-up began with a run; I rowed. Then we did some lunge stuff and that was okay. We did two rounds of ten squats, ten ring rows, ten sit-ups, ten supermans, and ten push-ups. Nothing hurt there. We did some other stuff and some stretching and then got to work. Everything was still working okay.

Today’s WOD as written:
Front Squats- 3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3
AMRAP in 7 minutes:
7 pull ups
7 knees to elbow
7 burpees

I did lots of calculations last night and figured out I needed to start with an empty 45# bar and work upwards in 5# increments. So I did 45, 50, 55, 60, 65, 70, 75, and 80. I warmed up with just a 22# bar and decided right away that I needed my not matching shoes on. I did that before the working sets and it seemed to help stabilize me. I know I’m supposed to have a five point touch on this but it feels like I can’t breathe when I do that. At the heavier weights, it was actually easier to place the bar correctly.

I started making little pig noises by 70# and wasn’t sure I had planned correctly. But I kept with my plan and struggled through. My third rep on 80# was shallow and I’m sure I didn’t break parallel. I didn’t have to bail, but it didn’t really count as a rep.

When I looked at the AMRAP last night I started to play with it. I could lower the reps and get a higher score, but what would be the point? I could use the same rep scheme and would have a lower score but overall, in the seven minutes, I would have the same number of reps if I didn’t have to box breathe in the middle of any set. I figured I could do seven pull-ups without break and get the knees to elbows (as best I can) without having to box breathe. I also decided that jumping on my sore leg was stupid and I would just do push-ups instead of the burpees.

I pretty much worked my plan. I used a 2” band for the pull-ups and managed to get them done all together each time. I wish I hadn’t fallen on my ass doing knees to elbows last year. But I did. As soon as my grip starts to waver, I drop off the bar. It seems to me to be smarter than falling off the bar onto my ass. But it meant that only once did I get all seven done without stopping. I didn’t have to rest, but I did have to reset my grip. I’m not sure how to jump up and grab correctly all the time. Once, I got all seven done without resetting. It’s not strength so much as proper hand placement.

I used one abmat under my chest for the push-ups and did my best not to worm them up. Kim said they looked okay – at least at the beginning.

My score was 3+12 which was more than I thought I would manage. My heart rate was 170 at the end but I have the rest of the day to relax so what the heck. So I did 28 pull-ups, 26 knees to elbows, and 21 push-ups. If I had broken the rep scheme different, those numbers would still be pretty close to the same.

By the time I left the box, my hands were on fire and my arms were sore. My leg didn’t hurt but that may have been just because everything else was ablaze and had my attention.

I’m hoping by Monday that my leg is all better and I need a different excuse to whine.