The holidays are officially over and it was back to work as usual. Boss A got some more redecorating done over the long weekend and Boss B was back from his international travels. Mandi and I were all cozy in our shared office. The extra office is full of junk and more junk and boxes of junk and free falling junk and then there is some junk in there. Sigh.

I bravely looked at the WOD last night and didn’t die. I did sigh. Partner WOD. Well, someone gets stuck with me as a partner.

Yesterday, I asked if there was any possibility of having an 8 AM class. I’ve been obsessing worrying about if I was going to be able to keep up getting up in the middle of the night after I retire. I’ve mentioned this fear a few times and didn’t get any response. So yesterday, I asked. Boldly. Well, first I asked if there were a lot of stay at home moms signed up at the box. I figured they would like a class after the kiddies got off to school.

It seems my timing was right. A box nearby closed and their members are looking for a place to work out. They had an 8 AM class and people liked it. There was enough interest that it will likely happen. Then I can sleep until a reasonable hour and still work out early enough in the morning that I will actually go. I’m so excited. I hope it works.

I got there and Charlie was back. It was good to see him. David was there, too. Neither one of them had a bad foot anymore, although David’s foot wasn’t completely wonderful. Sarah Ann also showed up so we had an even number of people for partner WOD day. I had already worked out a strategy.

We warmed up and got out of jackets and whatever extra clothes we put on to deal with ⁰F 36 temperature. We were ready to get to the work for today.

Today’s WOD as written:
Handstand Practice- Using a partner, spend twenty minutes working on handstand progressions (holds, push ups, single arm balance, walking, etc.)
In teams of 2 with one partner working at a time, complete the following:
2000m row (alternate at 500m)
100 kbs (53/35)
50 pull ups
200 squats

I can do a headstand on the wall. I can’t get brave enough to kick up for a hand stand. I have the power, I don’t have the belief or the faith in myself to not crumple. With Coach Kim’s help, I got up into a handstand once, but couldn’t manage again. I was too afraid. I could wall walk up, I could do a head stand. But not another hand stand.

I had the partner WOD figured out. I would do 80%. I would row 400 meters twice, do 40 kettlebell swings, 20 pull-ups, and 80 squats. I had it all figured out how to make that work.

Then I lost my mind. I remembered what I was doing on the row and the pull-ups, but I had Sarah Ann and I doing extra work on the other two moves. She did 55 kettlebell swings and I did 45 kettlebell swings because we did the whole 100 and then I did the same thing when counting the squats. She did 110 and I did 90 because instead of stopping at 180, we did the entire 200. This was stupid and all I can say to account for it was that I am not a math person and it was early in the morning.

My heart rate was okay during the row and the kettlebell swings. Sarah Ann did American and I did Russian and we shared the 25# kettlebell. We each used a 2” band for pull-ups and I had those counted correctly and Sarah Ann did 25 broken into sets of 5 and I did 20, broken into sets of 5. It was during this part that my heart rate started going too high. I would have to pause.

At one point, as I was resting a bit, Kim mentioned to Sarah Ann that she could do some more while I rested and the kid said, “That’s all right” and stood there panting next to me. It did make me want to laugh, but I didn’t have enough air for that.

After we were half way through the squats, I would be beeping at the end of my set, but ready to go again by the time Sarah Ann was done with her set. We were working in sets of 10 reps each after some manipulation at the beginning. But as I said, we did too many. Our time was 22.50.

David hasn’t been a CrossFitter for long and then his old injury flared up and he took time off. He is a lot like me when I began this. One of the problems with new people is that they try to keep up with regulars who have been doing this for a while. His pacing wasn’t effective. In fact, he nearly passed out while rowing. Charlie did the rest of the thing without a partner.

People think breathing in helps, but what is really necessary is breathing out. Carbon dioxide is what tells your brain you need to breathe. So when you breathe shallow and don’t forcefully exhale, you hold CO2 and your brain tells you to breathe more and it is only shallow and you have a buildup of CO2. This make you dizzy. When box breathing, the most important part is forcefully exhaling and then sucking in some air. The “out with the bad air” is really more important than the “in with the good air” part of breathing. Well, when under stressful conditions.

Without going into too much medical stuff, I explained the process as we were sitting around after class. I know I’m not a nurse anymore, but this crap will simply not get out of my head. At least I didn’t tell him what size tie goes with what size clamp or what normal settings on a Bovie are. Some things should stay a mystery. And luckily for everyone, I didn’t go into an explanation of an EKG wave complex. Instead of all this worthless crap floating around in my head, it would have been far more helpful if I had counted our reps correctly and then Sarah Ann and I could have each done five less kettlebell swings and 10 fewer squats. That would have been helpful.