I had a better day at work simply because I chose to have a better day at work. Things still went wrong, but they always do because life isn’t perfect. But I attempted to maintain my usual jovial outlook and let the badness not affect me. At least that’s what I tried to do. It mostly worked and it was much nicer at work that way. And then my weekend started and that’s always nice, too.

I assiduously resisted looking at the WOD last night and I’m eternally grateful for my own wisdom. If I had looked at this mess, I would have tossed and turned all night. But I had no clue and therefore I slept wonderfully and awoke refreshed.

I had not given any thought to the noise the bullet made when blending my morning pre-workout concoction. It simply hadn’t dawned on me that it was annoying. But the point was brought home to me and so, last night, I made my morning drink while I was setting out my workout clothes. I really do not have enough brain cells firing at 5.15 AM to do this. So I have always gotten ready the night before. I made my drink and put one of the lids on it and so I was quiet this morning. Who knew this was so easily solved? Who even knew it was a problem?

But I had read the WOD and my morning was ruined; it was in tatters. My day was horrible. I wouldn’t have even bothered to go to the box, but I was already awake and so I trudged my fat ass in, sure that I would not be able to do a damn thing.

We warmed up. Meredith, the other twin, was there today without Sarah. Cindy and Todd were both there and I had made the error of showing up. That was an even number. Damn.

Today’s WOD as written:
push jerk 3 – 3 – 3 – 3 – 3
high box jumps 4 x 5
Post weights and heights for each round.
Partner WOD
AMRAP in 12 minutes:
1 parking lot slam ball huck from the door to the sidewalk
1 run to the 200m mark and back to the sidewalk with slam ball run (40/25)
1 parking lot slam ball huck from the sidewalk back to the door
10 slam ball partner thrusters – ball must leave both partners hands during the transfer at the top of the thruster.
10 slam ball partner sit ups – balls must leave both partners hands during the transfer.
Both partners stay together alternating work at all times. If there is a male on the team, you must use a 40 lb. ball.
Post completed rounds + partial reps.
Single person
1 mat length slam ball huck
1 parking lot sprint
1 mat length slam ball huck
5 slam ball thrusters
5 slam ball situps

On the push jerks, I began with 33 and then did 38, 43, 48, and 53#. I probably should have jumped ten at the beginning and gotten to 58 because I think I might have been able to get them done. But time was passing and there was more to do so I opted to not go another three reps at a higher weight.

I did step-ups rather than box jumps and Coach Kim was okay with that. I just used a higher box. And I was supposed to do 6 reps and alternate legs. I started with a 24” box and then kept adding 10 pound plates. They really are more than one inch each or else the 25 pound plate is not two inches. I don’t know and frankly, I don’t really care. I did the last set with three plates on top and I could only manage if I led with my left foot and pushed up hopping with my right foot. Since I couldn’t alternate feet on this last one, I stopped at five.

I know my limits on many things and running is one of them. I do not run inside a WOD. If I do, I have no heart rate left to do anything else. I’m old and have to compensate. I’m not fond of it, but having a heart attack is even less appealing. So I walk the distance and figure it’s just my scaling needs.

Meredith and Cindy were a team and could use the 25# slam ball. Todd worked alone and managed to use the 40# slam ball. I worked alone and had to scale this and use a 14# med ball. The advantage was that it rolled when I hucked it. I believe this is a made up name that may not be familiar to other CrossFitters. You stand, facing away from the target, grab the slam ball and rise with it and then throw it over your head backwards. A slam ball will splat on the ground with little to no rolling. A med ball rolls and so it only took half as many throws for me to go the distance.

The hardest part of the whole thing for me was the sit-ups. I’m not sure if it was just the awkwardness of the size of the ball or not, but once I figured out where to put my hands to get better leverage, it became easier, but was still the most difficult part of the whole thing. I finished with five rounds plus one huck down the mat and a heart rate of 176.

It was more fun than I thought it would be. I’m grateful I could work alone. The thought of someone throwing a 25# slam ball at me was frightening. And if I was stuck trying a 40# one, I would never have gotten past the first sit-up. I’m not really sure I could have managed the 25# ball and done the sit-ups since I was struggling with the puny little 14# med ball.

The worst part of the whole day was my water bottle. I have a lovely water bottle with a non-slippery feel to it, even when it has ice cold water in it. It also has a way to drink without having the cap off so it is non-spill although it will drip. I filled it up this morning and left it on the kitchen counter. So I got a water from the gym which is just a regular old twist off cap bottle of water.

I do most of my drinking of the water on the ride home. I’m usually parched, or as my niece would say, poached, after a WOD. I was at a red light and drinking water when it changed to green. I went to put the water back in the cup holder when it slipped out of my hands. I have a stick and it takes two hands to drive so I let the water stay on the floor and got into a gear high enough to pick up the bottle. I managed to find in on the floor and pick it up and then dumped the rest of the water into my own lap. I still had a gear or two to shift up and now I had a lap full of cold water, too.

I got home and dried out the car the best I could. I really should not leave my best water bottle at home ever again.