We had a lovely weekend. We have decided to paint a couple rooms downstairs, the man cave and Dick’s bathroom. We picked out some paint samples and made a selection, got tiny bits of paint and tested them on the walls, and then made our selection. The man cave is going lighter and needs to have a base coat before the paint is applied. That’s a pain in the ass, but it needed to be done. And the blind in there is falling apart and needed replacing. So it will be all spruced up.

I successfully avoided looking at the WOD last night. I slept peacefully all night long. When the alarm went off this morning, I peeked at the WOD. I’m very glad I did not look at it last night because it irritated me. They all do. I want to be younger or at least have a heart that keeps up with my arms, shoulders, legs, and head. I have neither. Every time I look at a WOD, I cringe and the first thought is “how will I scale this?”

There was no skill today. Reading without glasses on, I missed the part about how many rounds and was left wondering what the day was going to bring, even having the WOD in front of me. So all I could do was haul my fat ass to the box and see what the specifications were.

Our warm-up was based on the WOD. We began with a row and worked through the moves with some added push-ups and front squats in there. We then did five minutes of shoulder mobility work. It was just me and Jackson. Kim was there with two young girls for a fundamentals class or something. We stayed out of each other’s way.

Today’s WOD as written:
“Monday Gone Bad”

Three rounds of:
Wall balls (20/14)
Kettlebell swings (53/35)
Box jumps (24/20)
Push press (75/55)
Row (Calories)

In this workout you move from each of five stations after a minute. The clock does not reset or stop between exercises. This is a five-minute round after which a two-minute break is allowed before repeating. On call of “rotate”, the athletes must move to next station immediately for best score. One point is given for each rep, except on the rower where each calorie is one point.

I wasn’t sure what to do with this. I cannot work for 5 minutes without resting. I will either pass out or die. I wasn’t sure if I should set a number of reps and work to that or work for 30 seconds on and 30 seconds off. Coach Jason suggested I work to failure and then rest until the next minute started. I tried that on the first round and didn’t feel like I was working enough. The calorie row was for the full minute because I had the two minutes of rest afterwards.

Since I didn’t like the way the first round went, I figured I would try for 10 reps of everything. But I did 12 wall balls on the first round and kept that number. I couldn’t get my rower to turn on before the minute started and so I really only had 52 seconds of rowing time for that round. Although it was cool this morning, 58⁰ out there, there were no fans on and I was over-heating. I ripped my shirt off half way through the second round. That felt a bit better.

I really wanted to get 150 total points. I needed to make up for the poor decisions I had made in the first round and squeak out one more rep on the moves. My heart rate was high after ten, but the box breathing was bringing it back down. I was starting the push press with a heart rate of 159, but I was almost done.

I had been using a 10# wall ball to an 8’ mark, a 25# KB and doing Russian swings, step-ups to a 20” box, a bare 33# bar, and the rower set at 7. I pushed through and figured I could get to 150 if my math was correct. On the final row, I just closed my eyes and pulled the rower as much as possible and ended up with an extra point in there. And I squealed with delight. I reached my goal. With an extra point to spare.

wall ball 12 12 12
KB swing 10 10 10
box jump 8 10 11
push press 6 10 11
calorie row 9 9 11
45 51 55 151