I’ve been so busy being social I forgot my media part. We had out of town guests staying with us which isn’t nearly as fun as saying we had friends from home bringing part of that idea to us and celebrating lifelong friendships. That was so much more important than social or media that I forgot about writing. My commitment to fitness was unabated and I did get to the gym, but I tried to make it as unobtrusive as possible.

On Monday, I snuck out of the house and made it to the box for this:
Jerk 3 – 3 – 2 – 2 – 1
Use the racks (and the jerk table when the weights get heavy) to practice the movement and try to set a 1RM.
Post the weight for all five working sets.
(in between sets)
GHD 4 x 15 seconds
No more than 15 seconds at a time, try to get a ME on the GHD.
Must touch the foot pad before time expires for the rep to count.
Post your reps for each set.
AMRAP in 12 minutes
5 slam balls
5 slam ball thrusters
3 power cleans (95/65)
3 shoulder to overhead (95/65)
1 squat clean (95/65)
1 front squat (95/65)

I have no recollection of what the jerk weights were, but I’m guessing fairly light. I know that I couldn’t even get setup on the GHD contraption and opted out of that. There were rings set low – about 3 inches off the ground. I put my feet in the rings, held a plank, and did 15 seconds of a horizontal knees to elbows move. I got nine or ten each round.

When it came time for the WOD, I didn’t have much wiggle room since we only have two sizes of slam balls. I had a choice of 25 pounds or possibly I could have grabbed one of the men’s sized 40 pounds. Since there was no weenie weight for this, I lowered the reps to 3 and 3. I used a 42# bar for the other moves. I got five rounds plus 6 and did a lot of resting and panting and sitting around trying to get my heart rate down.

I had to work on Monday which was disappointing but necessary and I got all the stuff done that needed to be done. Then we got to play again with our friends. We had a fire in the fire pit and I actually put brandy in my hot chocolate which may not have been the best of choices but it tasted good.

Tuesday was back at the box because I go to the gym on Tuesdays. When I saw what was written, I was pretty sure it was a bad choice, but I go to the box on Tuesdays.

So this is what I had to do:
3 x ME bodyweight back squats
Rest thoroughly between sets.
Post reps for each set.
NOT for time:
Turkish Get Ups 3 – 3 – 3 – 3
For time or AMRAP:
SealFit Man Maker Ladder (10/5)

I cannot do a body weight back squat – yet. I was told to work with about half my weight. I had a 63# bar and figured that was about as close I was going to get without switching the bars and I was too lazy for that. I managed 10-10-11 for the reps with that.

This SEAL man maker nonsense is done with dumbbells and they were laddered in 10 pound increments for the men and 5 pounds for the women. My weights would have been 5-10-15-20-25 but it was a given that was going to be too much. So we staggered me and I was 3-5-8-10-15 (if I could manage it). A man maker is standing with the dumbbells then dropping to the ground, doing a push-up on the weights, lifting up one to chest level, doing a push-ups and lifting the other weight to chest level, jumping back up and doing a thruster with the weights. Three reps at each weight.

I spent a considerable amount of time panting on the ground but I managed all five weights and finished in 8.26 (I think). I should have taken a picture of the board today so I would remember what I did all week. This is why I write it down each day because I have the memory span of a gnat. I tried a Turkish getup with just a 3 pound weight and it hurt my shoulder. I spent the rest of the day working with a lacrosse ball.

I took Tuesday off work and we went for a two mile walk along a path, toured the Scarecrows in the Park, went out to lunch but the teahouse was closed and we had to go to a second choice. Then we came home for a bit and then went downtown to Charleston and walked around the historic district, went out to dinner, and then had a wonderful ghost walk. Mike Brown was an excellent story teller and several times my hair stood up on end as I was delightfully scared by his tales.

Wednesday is my day off, thank goodness. I don’t think I could have gotten up early yesterday. AND it was a hero WOD, which are usually way beyond me. Our friends left to go back home and I was back at work. Then it was another day back at the box today.

Today’s WOD as written:
3 x ME 50% bodyweight strict to push press
Rest thoroughly between sets.
Post reps for each set.
4 rounds for time (performed every 5 minutes):
30 second handstand hold
500m row
4 deadlifts (225/155)

I have not ever strict pressed half my body weight. I’m a weenie at this and I know it. I tried 32# and managed that okay so I upped it to 37# and worked that. I did 3/7 for the first round meaning 3 strict presses and then seven more push presses for a total of ten. Then I managed 4/7 and finished my last round at 4/8 and I think my arms fell off in there somewhere.

I knew when I looked at this that I needed to do something a bit different for the conditioning portion. I am unable to do a handstand so there was going to have to be some form of sub for that. I cannot row at the same speed at the youngsters and Coach Kim said we were to figure about half working and half resting times for each round. I cut back my rows to 400 meters. The deadlifts were done at 83#.

Only Hannah could do an actual handstand (Cindy wasn’t there today and Charlie and Todd were in the same boat as me) so the rest of us had to do plank holds. I wasn’t sure I could even manage that, but lo and behold, I actually held a plank for 30 seconds four times.

Then row was next and I just tried not to think about it. I would get up from that and go do my four deadlifts without stopping because then I could sit on the rower, drink some water, do some box breathing, get my heart rate back down, and rest. Lovely, lovely rest. That was my favorite part.

My four times were 3.01, 3.03, 3.08, and then we were supposed to see if we could beat our time on the last round and by God, I did as I finished the last round in 3.00 even.

So now, I’m back to my normally scheduled life. And I’m caught up here. As much as I could remember.