I am supposed to go to the box on Thursdays. I went yesterday. I came back home without doing anything. On Tuesday, I put a fresh water bottle up on the cooler at work. I do this often without problem. But instead of lifting and putting it up, I lifted and twisted and then put it up. I hurt my lower back.

It wasn’t too bad and on Wednesday I went and did deadlifts and weighted box step-ups. It didn’t hurt during the WOD but by the time I was getting out of the shower, I knew I was in some trouble. At work, after sitting for about an hour, I nearly yelped as I got out of my office chair. Houston, we have a problem.

I worked on my lower back with a lacrosse ball and it got marginally better. I went to bed with the alarm set for me to arrive at the box for open gym. I got there and my back was not so good. I did a few more mobilization things and then I decided that stupid was not what I wanted to be when I grew up. I asked Kim if I was, in fact, being stupid. She allowed that perhaps it was not the very smartest thing to do and I should go home and mobilize and come back on Friday.

I did that. I worked with the lacrosse ball four times on Thursday and did some stretchy type things and my back was much improved although not entirely better. I again set the alarm clock and got up in time for open gym today. I got there and did some warm-up stuff which included working on my lower back.

Today’s WOD as written:
15 min AMRAP
30 single unders
20 wall balls 10# to 8’
10 clean and jerks 45#

This is the same thing I did last week. When I spoke with Craig last weekend, he mentioned that I should not keep doing the same thing over and over but allowed another repetition of this WOD. It was awful.

First thing I did was wear two different shoes to account for my legs not being equal. It feels a little weird when I first put the higher shoe on, but it feels nicer in a squat and during lifts. I will continue to work with this accommodation. I think it is better than a small plate under my heel.

I couldn’t even jump rope today and had trouble with just that. It may have been the shoes and not getting enough clearance with the higher soled shoe. I may have to practice jumping rope. This is a dumb place to fall apart.

The wall balls were broken up into ten and ten and that worked better and the clean and jerks were 4-3-3 and that seemed to work. My too high heart rate is a constant and I have no idea how to fix that part.

I got two complete rounds in again, but the time was running out and my heart rate was too fast and I had wasted too much time trying not to die. I ended up with 2 + 43 which is less than a week ago. The only good thing I can say about this is that no one will die because of how much I suck.

What I might need to do is work on some rope jumps with the two different shoes on. That is something I can do on a rest day since it isn’t that intense and I don’t have to do more than a couple hundred jumps and call it a good thing.

I don’t know what else to do to get me stronger with this 45# over my head stuff. All I can do is keep working at it and maybe, perhaps, I might get a wee bit stronger. Probably not, but all I can do is keep working anyway.

The rest of the day is filled with laundry because that is so much fun. But I also have a massage scheduled for later today and hopefully, that will get the rest of the issue with my back resolved.