I know that as an old fart at the gym, I am an underachiever. I am not an under-performer, but no matter how hard I try to perform, I don’t achieve all that much. I also know that being off for two weeks means that I lost some of the gains I had made, simply due to inertia. I worked out twice while away, but they weren’t the same type of things I’m used to doing and so it wasn’t as bad as it could have been, but it wasn’t great. It was what it was and I had to deal with that.

Even knowing all that, I was really depressed about having to quit even though I knew it was the best thing. Crippling myself would have been even dumber. So I stopped before I was too hurt.

I got to work and both bosses were sitting there just waiting for the day to start. So I figured I would start it for them. I think I was more nervous telling them about wanting to retire than I was about telling them I wanted to be hired. They were very nice about it. I explained how I would help get a new person trained. I also stressed that I would be done by the end of February. If the new person isn’t hired or trained by that time, I will still be done by the end of February.

I got that out of the way and then after work I had a massage scheduled. Thank goodness because I was sore and full of knots, not from working out in the morning, but from waiting too long since my last massage and from hotel beds, flying, and all manner of being out of my routine. Billy did a great job.

I got up this morning and got ready for the box. I got there and saw them jumping rope and decided I’m going to have to put extra gear in the car or something because not seeing the WOD the night before means I don’t know if I have to bring anything extra along. I used one of their ropes.

I was talking with Ryan before class started and he has a 70 year old he is working with one on one. The guy is about as stiff and immobile as I was when I started. When he gets enough ROM and can do stuff, he will join group WODs and I will no longer be the oldest person at the box. I will still be the oldest woman at the box.

Warm-up was a 400 meter run and I ran out of steam even on a 300 meter run. I have no idea what I do differently one day to the next, but some days I can run it easily and some days I can’t even make that short distance. There was a bunch of other stuff and then we were warm.

Today’s WOD as written:
Push press 8 x 3 @ 55%
8 min AMRAP
15 box jumps (24/20)
75 single unders
15 sit-ups
15 box jumps (24/20)
30 double unders
15 v-ups
15 box jumps (30/24)
30 double unders
15 toes to bar

I looked and had nothing written for a push press. I’m going to guess that what I had written as a one rep max for a strict press was really a push press because I never got to that weight throughout the series. But I worked up to a one rep max on my push press and got to 58#. I failed twice at 63# and decided I was just going to have to be happy with the lower number.

Surprising no one, I chose the red option for the WOD. But we could do step ups and I did. So I managed it as written. I remembered to change leading leg on the step-ups about half way through and on the first round I kept missing and tripping on the rope. The sit-ups helped me get my heart rate back down so I could keep working.

On the second round, I had to pause, but not for too long, before starting the single unders but got them done without stopping. On the third round, I managed the same thing. My heart rate was 178 when I got to the sit-ups part but the seconds were counting down. I didn’t look before I started the last box “jumps” and just kept going since there were only a few seconds left. I got 3 + 7 for a score. I felt much better about this than yesterday’s WOD. But my legs are still not happy with me. I hope I can still walk tomorrow.