I had a lovely day off and may have finally gotten Command Central II set up the way I want it. My office gets dreadfully hot in the summer and so I need to do something about that. I’m tired of melting and so putting a secondary office in the master suite and just taking my laptop there when it gets too hot in my office works beautifully. This involved moving furniture since the chair in the master suite didn’t work right. So I took the recliner from my office and put it over there and last night it all worked just as I had imagined. Except … I need a clock in there.

I looked at the WOD last night and saw a couple different ways to scale it so I could do it. I fell asleep and woke up having to hit the bathroom. With very blurry eyes, I thought the first number on the clock was a 2 and was very thankful I could get three more hours of sleep because I was really tired. While in the bathroom, the alarm started making that horrible noise. It was not a 2; it was a 5 and it was time to get ready for the day.

I learned on Monday that just stirring the protein powder into my chocolate almond milk didn’t work so good as it was very lumpy. So I got the smoothie/blender thing out and whipped it up and drank it down. I did my math for the percentages of the back squats and left for the box.

School is out and there is less need for many people to get their workouts in early in the morning. It is hotter than hell, so it would seem to me that there is good reason to not wait too long, either. But both 5 and 6 AM were light. For us, it was only Todd and me.

Warm-up was 3 rounds of parking lot sprint (I was to walk), 5 ring rows, 5 med ball thrusters, and Todd had to do 5 broad jumps and I did not. The goal was to get warm but not beep. I was supposed to only do 2 rounds, but I wasn’t beeping and there was no reason not to do the third, so I did. We then did dislocates and passthroughs and then talked a bit about the day’s program.

Today’s WOD as written:
Back Squat – 5 @ 75%
3 @ 85%
1+ @ 95%
10 Min EMOM
5 KBS (53/35)
5 WB (20/14)
max rep burpees

Like I said, I had my weights written down. I remembered the plate under my right heel from the very beginning. My first number was 108# I was working up to it and I had 73# on the bar and it was already feeling pretty heavy. I did five reps at that and then just did 5 at 83# and it was horrible. I was whining, which shocked us all. Coach Raina said that it was heavy because it was heavy and not to worry but just work. I kept looking at those numbers and feeling horrible until I realized they were percentages of my deadlift and not my back squat max.

I was so rattled, I couldn’t even remember what my back squat max was. I did more reps and got 3 at 93# and then got 1 at 103#. I looked it up. 103# is my one rep max. I was a bit of an overachiever today, but that’s what I get for being stupid.

We discussed how I should scale the WOD. I thought I should do all the reps for the first round or two and then scale back and know that I wasn’t getting any burpees in at all. I hate them, so that wasn’t going to be difficult. But once I started beeping, I wouldn’t even get the first two moves completed, I figured. So then scale back to either 3 and 3 or one move one minute and the other move the next. Instead, what we finally planned, was 2, 2, 2 or 2, 2, until I beep, or 2, 2, 2+ and stop at 30 seconds. I used a 25# kettlebell and a 10# med ball.

The first round I did 2, 2, 3 and was both beeping and it was 30 seconds. Then I got 2 burpees for the next couple rounds. I had one round where I was beeping at the wall balls and got no burpees. After round nine I was at 12 burpees. But time was running out and on the last round, I just kept going. I was beeping after the first one, but I had all the time in the world to rest when it was over. I got 9 burpees in and could have had one more according to the clock, but when I stood up on the last one, I was dizzy so it wasn’t safe anymore. I stopped. My heart rate was 173 and it took exactly one minute before I stopped beeping.

Raina said I was scaring her at the end and I assured her that as soon as I noticed I was dizzy, I quit. We were all good. And my score for the board was the number of burpees which was 21, but way scaled. Still I was happy with the results.

I got home and made breakfast. I have been having Greek yogurt with fruit and a side of bacon as my post WOD breakfast for months. I decided to try the vanilla flavored Greek yogurt. Good God! It was so sweet it was nearly gagging. I didn’t look at the ingredient list in the store but I did after the first bite. The second ingredient listed is sugar. I have no idea what to do with this stuff. It certainly isn’t breakfast food. When I had really dulled taste buds I wouldn’t have minded this, but after months of cutting out most sugars, I can really taste the sweet stuff and this is overwhelming without being either chocolate or ice cream. Not worth it at all and not really breakfast food. But, as always, the bacon was great.