Yesterday was my rest day and pretty much all I did was be a slug. I got the laundry done and cooked dinner. I had an English muffin with lemon curd for breakfast and it was delicious and then I had an egg salad sandwich on whole wheat bread with some chips for lunch. I had gastrointestinal problems in the evening. I never believed there was a problem with how much wheat I was eating until the Whole Life Challenge thing. I can have one or the other of those above items without a problem. I can’t have both in the same day. I won’t do that again.

For some reason known only to the powers that be, yesterday was NOT a partner WOD. But I had already worked out two days in a row and I’m simply too old to manage three in a row. I need the recovery time. My arms were killing me yesterday, too. I worked on them quite a bit and could finally lift them over my head again by nightfall.

My plan, such as it is, is to hit the box for open gym on Saturday and so that is what I did. It was overcast this morning and the temps were in the low 70s so I thought it was going to be okay. What I didn’t take into account was the humidity. I was dripping before I got done warming myself up. I did a bunch more stretches and worked more on my arms. When I had a massage on Wednesday, my quads were really tight and so I did some couch sits as well.

Today’s WOD as written:
Deadlift – 3 @ 80%
3 @ 85%
3+ @ 90%
250 m row
20 KBS (53/35)
10 pull-ups
Rest 2 min between rounds

I used a calculator to see what those weights for the deadlifts should be. I started out with 53# and did ten reps quickly. Then I went to 83# and did 7 reps and got to 93# and did five. My 80% was at 113# pounds and I did my 3 reps without problem. 85% was between 118 and 123 but the weights weren’t and so I used the higher weight and did 3 reps. The final 90% was at 128# which is my body weight. I was to go until failure and I managed five reps. Five reps at body weight! I was in hog heaven.

I spoke with Kim before starting the WOD. I could manage a 25# kettlebell swing but not 20 times without stopping. I had planned to cut back the reps. What I wanted to know is was it better to do fewer reps with a heavier object or more reps with a lighter object. She said they were essentially the same, but what she would like for me to do was go with the heavier weight, see if I could get ten done without stopping and if possible, get the pull-ups in as well since there was a 2 minute rest built in.

I got the first round done without any stopping and without too much trouble. I was doing 10 kettlebell swings with 25# and 7 pull-ups using the green band except I lost my mind and did all ten reps. I was beeping, but it wasn’t too high. I finished at 2.28. The second round I again managed to get the entire round done without stopping, but my heart rate hadn’t been as low when I started and it was more of a problem. I did remember to only do 7 pull-ups. I finished at 7.06.

I was melting. The humidity was at saturation point. I had sweat dripping down my back and into my eyes. I was miserable and hot and tired. I got through the row and the ten kettlebell swings and my heart rate was 171. I simply had to pause before the pull-ups. I got in a few deep breaths and then climbed up and got the pull-ups done and was grateful for the next 2 minutes. It was 11.56. I rowed really, really slow for the last round, trying to save my heart rate for the harder work. I got the ten kettlebell swings done, but I was over 170 again and I had to wait before I could crank out the last seven pull-ups. I finished at 16.46 and was so glad it was over.

Somewhere during the last round it began to pour. It was coming down in buckets and I was so tempted to just walk out there and cool off. But I had to get in my car with the cloth seats and I had to stop at the grocery store on the way home. Both things meant that standing the rain wasn’t the smartest thing I could do.

Great workout today. I had fun. Now, a rest day again – I like those, too.