We decided to go to Savannah, Georgia and Dick looked for a deal out there. He found a Groupon for us and we selected an overnight place (Inn at Ellis Square) and date that worked with my schedule. Thursday was the night for staying there.

We wanted to leave here around 11 so that gave me time to get to the grocery store for the week. I went and used my $10 off $50 or more coupon and even remembered to give it to them while I was being rung up. I mentioned that I was old since it was senior discount day. The cashier said she got that already. Nice. Well, I do have gray hair it was senior day, so I guess it was nice that she knew I was old.

I packed a few clothes and all my electronics and off we went for a chilly day. The polar vortex was being all polar, but the sun was out and it wasn’t too bad.

On the way, I mentioned that I didn’t want to hear anything as I hobbled down the rock hewn stairs to the river. My knee isn’t working correctly and the stairs are uneven. I would have to lead with my right leg on each step and it was just to stay safe and don’t yell at me and yadda, yadda, yadda.

Dick parked right down there on the cobbled street so I wouldn’t have to climb down the steps! We walked along the river and stopped into any shops that looked interesting and some that didn’t just because we wanted to get out of the cold. We really like the taffy there and Dick got a pound and I restrained myself and only got a half-pound.

We stopped for lunch at a Greek place and neither of us got a gyro, but we liked our sandwiches and then I got baklava. I love that stuff. I enjoyed every bite and tried (without complete success) to not think of how many calories I was eating and how many burpees it would take to burn it up.

It was time to check in at the hotel and with that accomplished we were ready for the rest of the afternoon. We weren’t supposed to be on the river side of the hotel since we were Groupon discount folks, but they had a low occupancy rate and so we were on the fifth floor and could see the river and the bridge from our room. On our way out the door to explore, I stopped at the desk to tell the lady about our room. I told her how pleased we were and that everything was perfect.

While we were in Europe last spring, some weather pattern hung over the continent for weeks and we nearly froze our asses off. We packed for spring and what the weather usually was and what the prediction for the weather was. Neither was helpful. We had gloves, mittens, scarves, hats, and winter coats at home. None of these were in Europe with us. We wore socks on our hands and everything we packed was layered on every single day. And we still froze.

Yesterday, I had my shirt and light sweater/jacket, my vest (purchased for the Europe trip) and my winter coat on while we walked around Savannah. I also had a headband hat thing that I would have sold my soul or first born son for while we were in Germany. I had a scarf, too, and gloves were in my pockets but not needed. Please note that the temps were in the low 40s. I have turned into a Southerner. I didn’t mean to do that, but I’m wimpy with cold now.

We walked around for a couple hours, visited the center at SCAD (Savannah College of Arts and Design) and were awed, and got back to the hotel before the sun set and the temps dropped more. As we headed back to the hotel and were getting closer, we looked for restaurants that looked promising for dinner. We selected Churchill’s and it was a great place when we did go back and eat. And, only two blocks away in in the cold and dark as we walked back and forth. All this walking and my knee never bothered me in the least.

About 4 PM, we had gotten a phone call from Bill. He never calls. Barb had taken Ruth to the hospital and it wasn’t all that good. She had some stomach issue that was only going to be resolved with surgery. She is 91 years old and frail. I didn’t know who to feel sorriest for: Ruth, Barb for having to take care of this, or Dick who was torn between enjoying a planned respite with his wife while worrying to death about his mother. I’m so glad this didn’t happen while all of us were in Europe because although we had discussed it before going and we were determined to stay the course for our vacation, it really did put a damper on things.

We opted to leave Savannah earlier since it was now below freezing and we didn’t have anything particular we wanted to do. Just walking in the cold sunshine wasn’t all that appealing. We stopped at Hilton Head and saw Craig on our way home. On our way home from there, we finally got a call and Barb said Ruth was out of surgery and did well. We could mostly relax. We understand that her recovery is going to be difficult and made worse by her age and her refusal to do anything she doesn’t want to do. I pity the nurse who makes her get out of bed and walk today – or at least tries to do that.

Dick needs to go to Florida. He needs clean clothes to pack for that. This meant that my first task for our return home was to do laundry or he wouldn’t have clean underwear. To get to that point, we needed to also unpack. I was hanging up my coat and vest and putting away the scarf, gloves, and hat when I noticed I didn’t have the hat. I turned to get back to the kitchen where I had left it and my entire right knee simply gave out.

I didn’t fall, but God, did my knee hurt. I couldn’t walk right. I couldn’t really walk at all. I got as far as the rocking chair and sat. For the rest of the night, I limped around looking like Festus on Gunsmoke. I did ice it eventually (when I finally sat down to crochet for a while) and I took an Aleve before bed. It is much better today and not hurting as I sit still. It also actually supports weight when I walk.

So the coming week is going to find Dick in Florida (at some point here) and me thinking about what I can do as I debate whether or not I can manage CrossFit on this stupid knee.

But, we did enjoy our getaway. Ruth is doing as well as can be expected. Laundry is done. My knee … well, we are just going to have to wait and see on that.

Spanish moss draping a live oak overlooking a fountain in one of the squares of Savannah

Spanish moss draping a live oak overlooking a fountain in one of the squares of Savannah