I have no idea why I couldn’t sleep last night, but I couldn’t. I was up at 12.30 because of all the water I drink during the day. That part I understood. I was still awake at 2.30 for no apparent reason. I got up to go to the bathroom again, just in case I could fall asleep. I sure didn’t want to have to get up in a short time to pee again. It worked. I fell asleep eventually and then the dang alarm went off at an unreasonably early hour. But it is Thursday and I must go to the box.

I had a massage yesterday and the therapist worked on my sore right arm to the exclusion of most everything else. It really hurt and I had to work on not crying. But it was finally getting that knot out that has made it so hard to do any overhead anything, either a pull-up or throwing weight up. I am bruised this morning and my arm is sore, but the kind on the outside instead of the inside.

I got to the box and there was Ricky, still dry. He has stopped cheating on us and come back to his proper home, the 6 AM class. I told him I would try to forgive him, but the trust is gone.

Warm-up was a 400 meter run so I did 300+ since I went just a teeny bit further than last time and ran the whole way. Then Ryan complex down the mat, followed by ten wall balls. I hate wall balls, these should not be part of the warm-up! I was beeping and had to wait so I was the last one done. Then ten pushups and ten supermans, next was ten good mornings, ten thrusters with a PVC pipe, and finally dislocates and passthroughs.

Today’s WOD as written:

3-2-2-2-1-1 Thruster

Death by Deadlifts

(315/205)RX+ (225/150)RX (135/95)scaled (Straps are not allowed)

Coach Kim said to start light and do ten thrusters with just the bar. But I have been doing not all that much more than just the bar. She said to just do my three reps. I did and my arm didn’t hurt. At all. Not even a little. We were doing them from the rack except Ricky was being an overachiever and doing a clean first. His last attempt was his body weight, but I don’t know if he actually got it overhead. I did hear it drop.

For my reps, I added weight and began again without any trouble. I kept adding weights through the reps and at my last single I was at 42# and then I did an extra with another 10# on it and pulled it off. I did a 52# thruster. That’s a PR.

Off to death by deadlifts.

I have no idea what in the world the straps are, but I’m glad they weren’t allowed. At least I think I’m glad. I used a 73# bar and was hoping to get to ten rounds.

The first was easy, the next two weren’t bad. By the sixth round, I was breaking them into 3 and 3. Then I got to the ninth round and did three sets because half and half was too much. I was beeping like crazy and not much time to recover, but I wanted that tenth round. So I played it smart. I recovered into the round and then finished my ten reps with just a few seconds left on the clock. But I made my tenth round.

I was thinking I went too heavy by the third round, but instead, I turned into a beast and pulled it off. Ricky and Martin both only did ten (but much heavier weights) and Ed and Inee both did 11 rounds, Ed with a higher weight and Inee with a lower weight.

So, even with a definite lack of sleep, I was a beast. I didn’t have the lowest score on the board and I didn’t even have the lowest weight. I amaze myself sometimes. My massage is shot and I had ice on my back while I typed. Great day.

I think I have come up with the perfect answer (for me at least) when asked why I do this: When I started I couldn’t; now I can.