I woke up at 4:30 on Wednesday, my day to sleep in. I was bereft. And tired all day … but I somehow managed to work and stay awake and get a peek at the WOD for today. It was posted shortly after 8 PM and it was really a WOD. How fun. I went to bed early because of that whole not enough sleep the night before and managed to sleep peacefully for most of the night. I figured when the alarm went off I would be sound asleep and it would irritate me, but that didn’t happen. I woke by myself about 15 minutes before the alarm went off.

But I didn’t get out of bed until told by the annoying buzzer. I looked at the weather report and noticed it was 80⁰ out there. What the hell! It was 5.30 in the damn morning and already this hot. Who ordered this? I am grateful I didn’t think I was going to do this in the afternoon. I got dressed and ready to leave and it was a few minutes early because I was awake early. That was nice.

Then I remembered that I really didn’t plan well and so I sorted the laundry so I could start it when I got back to the house and the laundry fairy could finish it while I worked. That made me about a minute or two later to the box.

The 5 AM class was all girls. Coach Michael thought he was going to have an all boy 6 AM class and then I showed up. Ricky, Chris, Ed, Steve (I think), and me, the Little Old Lady.

Warm-up was a 500 meter row. Dislocates and passthroughs with hands moving in an inch on each side until you couldn’t make the passthrough and the dislocates with nice deep lateral stretches. Then, 15 burpees for the boys and 15 push-ups for me. Coach said I could do them from my knees, but I informed him I could do real ones and I did. We would do a second warm-up for the WOD, but first we did the skill.

The WOD as written:

Spend twenty minutes working on max unbroken pullups (any style, no more than 3 attempts)

If you do not have at least 10 unbroken Rx pullups, find your proper resistance band to help you reach at least 10 but not more than 20 strict pull ups and make three attempts at max effort.

Rx scores need to be chin OVER and full extension (especially butterflyers).


AMRAP in 8 minutes:
15 Wall Balls (20/14)
Parking Lot Sprint

So, my arm hurt on the pull-ups last time and I thought I would putz around for this part of the day, but I at least tried. I maxed out at 7 with a green band last time we tried this. Coach thought I did pretty good with the green band as I squeaked out 5, but maybe could get 10 with a blue band added. The two bands together about slingshot me across the room and I hated it. We decided I would do five rounds of five with the green band, unless my arm started hurting.

On the fifth round, I managed seven. I really, really wanted a higher number today. So I did a sixth round and got the eight, although the last one wasn’t really chin over bar. I took it cuz what the hell. That means I did 35 band-assisted pull-ups today. When I started I could do zero. Nada. Zip. Zilch.

Then for the second warm-up, we did another 15 burpees except I did push-ups again. Then we did Ryan complex down the mat with a PVC pipe. We did a passthrough with each lunge, an overhead squat, then throw the PVC pipe on the ground, inchworm out, push-up, inchworm back, pick up the pipe and start again. Then ten squats with PVC racked.

Then the WOD. I used a 10# ball and knew I was walking the sprint. But that’s okay. I was hoping for two rounds and wishing for three. As I was strolling for the second round, I was so dizzy from the damn wall balls that I was seeing stars and then I started burping and figured I was gonna puke. I have learned it is much better to do that outside, so I stayed out there until I felt like I wasn’t gonna puke anymore and went back in. I got the 15 wall balls in with about 15 seconds left on the clock. No way the parking lot was going to see me again until I got into my car to go home. So my score was 2+15 which wasn’t quite as good as I wanted, but better than I thought I would do.

Now back home and cooling off. Next up, laundry.