A couple days of rest was needed. I ran 200 meters on Friday afternoon just because I told myself I would. On Saturday, we went to Hilton Head, and we took Aiden and Morgan to CrossFit Kids at CrossFit Hilton Head and then played with Frankie, too. The little kids were really cute and Corey did a great job with them. The bigger kids were really rocking it out. It was hard to do nothing but watch. It poured and then it rained and then it poured some more all day. I didn’t run when we got home.

Yesterday, I ran 200 meters and then some since I wasn’t dead yet. I was winded but made it also across the street and up the driveway. Then I came in and plopped down and tried to breathe again. I noticed that when I first start running, I hold my breath, which is really stupid. So I tried not to do that.

Got to the box this morning and the first thing was a 400 meter run, but I still just did 200. But I did the little bit extra and ran all the way through the door. Then I panted. Next was ten squats, ten burpees, and ten pushups, followed by good mornings and dislocates and passthroughs.

The WOD as written:
Spend 15 minutes finding a 5 Rep Max Good Morning
10 minute AMRAP:
15 Overhead Walking Lunges with plate 45#/25#
10 Box Jumps 24″/20″
Extra Credit:
Weighted Plank hold. Accumulate 5 minutes. If you start to sag, drop the weight!

I noted that the good mornings should be a piece of cake for me since it is really just my squat. Although I am trying to keep my chest up, today I didn’t have to. I began with the small bar and could do that. I added 2.5 to each side, then 5, and then both the 5 and the 2.5. I was up to 10 on each side, but the 7.5 was difficult. So I asked what I thought was a logical question. “How do you bail with this if it is too much?”

We discussed it, but there is little to do except protect your head and neck and hope for the best. I wasn’t sure I could shrug anything off. Christine stood in front of me, ready to grab the bar, and I did five rep good mornings with a 42# bar and did them all. But, I didn’t try any more.

I have trouble with lunges just doing them. I have never been able to do anything with holding stuff over my head. I usually have to windmill my arms out at some point on just regular walking lunges to keep my balance. So, today I thought I would try with a 5# weight. I know it was less than the Rx, but everything I do is. This was more than I had ever done before.

I did my box jumps on 14″ and on the second round I managed to do all 10 without stopping, but then my heart rate was so high, I more than made up the wasted down time trying to get it back down to something that would let me go back to lunges.

So I ended up with 3 rounds plus 10 lunges and a heart rate of about 178 when I quit. But I did get those last few lunges in, which was important.

I was quite pleased with myself. Knowing how much trouble I have with lunges even without a weight, and knowing how strenuous box jumps are, I figured I would be happy with two rounds. I did better than I expected and more than I have ever done before. I had sweat dripping off my face and was panting like a lizard on a hot rock. It felt great.

I didn’t even try the extra credit. My old try-to-roller-blade injury just wouldn’t like it.


This is NOT a five pound weight