Back to the box this morning. The WOD wasn’t posted before I went to bed last night so it was a surprise this morning. That’s nice.

It was very foggy this morning. It made it a bit tricky to drive since seeing far ahead was no longer possible, but I know the way and so got there without a problem.

My knee has been bothering me since Tuesday but not too bad. I made sure to start with my knee stretch and it does help. The warm-up was a 400 meter row then Ryan complex down the mat, the next thing was to broad jump down the mat but I opted out of that. Somebody mopped last night and the mat was still damp and that made it also slick. My hands were slipping with the pushup part of the Ryan complex thing. I felt it was too risky to try and slip and torque my knee. Then 10 PVC good mornings and ten dislocates and passthroughs.

The WOD as written:
4 rounds for time:
Row 500 meters
20 Wall balls (20/14)
10 Box Jumps (24/20)

I saw this was up the morning so I wasn’t too surprised. It looked like I could do it. I have no idea why it looked like that. Optimism, I suppose. But I thought it might not be too bad. There was a full crew this morning. Six people showed up and there are five rowing machines. I said I would start with the wall balls so we could make it work.

I used a ten pound medicine ball and I had the 12 inch box with a 25# plate on it, making it a 14″ jump. My heart monitor beeped almost continuously. Each set of wall balls took three bouts, as I would have to rest. The box jumps were split in two. I thought I could get my heart rate back down during the row, but even then it was staying just high enough to beep.

I was going to quit after the third round but opted to just scale back. For the fourth round (forgive me Craig, it was either stop or back off) I used the four pound medicine ball and just stepped up and down. I managed that without stopping and just went through and then ended with the row. My time was 28:42 and I was beat. But I did get four rounds in.

I wish I knew more about scaling this for old coots. Should I have cut myself some slack and scaled back the reps? I did scale back the weight on the ball and the height on the box and still didn’t manage to do the four rounds like that. I don’t know what is reasonable. I know I finished the WOD. I also know that the first person to finish was at 15 and something. I worked at my max for 13 minutes longer than the fittest person there. I shouldn’t compare myself to others, but I would love to know if I’m actually working smart or not. I guess the reward for being in shape is finishing quickly. I don’t know how long that is going to take me to achieve.

On the way home, some idiot in the right lane was on a moped and going just as fast as he could, but not as fast as the speed limit allowed. So there were people trying to weave around him in the now even heavier fog. Nice commute for the rush hour folks. Then, in the neighborhood, I had to swerve around a dead animal lying in the road and then try to miss the idiots riding their bikes to school. The kids were on the sidewalk, but the moms (one with a baby cart thing behind her bike) were riding on the wrong side of the road in thick fog. I guess this is supposed to be healthful or something. They sure startled me and I’m glad I missed hitting them. I hope everybody else driving in the fog does, too.