Because of the holidays, my time at the box has been somewhat erratic. The fact that I was sicker than a dog didn’t help matters. However, the holidays are done and I am feeling better so things should get back to normal.

The box was closed on Tuesday. I looked at the WOD for Wednesday and it was either a 5k run or 150 burpees. I opted to not go to the box on Wednesday even though that would have been a logical day to go. I thought I might do a fast paced walk around the neighborhood which is close to a three mile or 5k distance, just not run. However, after work, it was drizzling and I decided fat and lazy for one more day was a good deal.

That can’t be my attitude every day so I was up again at 5.15 and headed to the box. I did peanut butter again before I went and hoped for the best. Before I did anything else, I did the knee stretch thing Craig sent. It seemed to help.

Today’s warm-up was a 200 meter run; I rowed. But the rowing machine wasn’t working right. It wasn’t on calories because when it moved, it moved too quickly. But it wasn’t measuring distance correctly because it didn’t always move. I have no idea how far I really rowed, but I quit after what would be more than enough time to get in 200 meters. I will use a different machine tomorrow.

Next was 20 double unders. I did 80 normal jumps with my own jump rope. I hadn’t started my heart monitor before I began and so I turned it on after and I was beeping like crazy. I knew that, but it was nice to see it in numbers. Next was Ryan complex down the mat and I beeped there, too because I was already too high when I started. Then 10 cherry pickers, 10 med ball cleans and I had to pause with those, too. Finish up with dislocates and passthroughs. I did a couple more of those knee stretches because the WOD was full of squats – again. CrossFit loves squats.

The WOD as written:
15 minutes to establish a 1RM HBBS.
3 minutes ME Double-Unders
-rest 1 minute
8 minute AMRAP of:
10 Clean & Jerks (full squat) 135/95#
20 HR Pushups
30 Ab-Mat Situps
-rest 1 minute
3 minutes ME Double-Unders

High Bar Back Squat was begun with a 22# bar and squatting to a 12″ box with a 25# plate on it. This was a lower squat that I managed the last time we worked with this move. I managed the squat without my knee hurting even though I had some weight. So I added 2.5# to each side, then 5# and then 7.5# and finally 10#. I worked on keeping my heels planted and chest up and face forward and still getting my fat behind down to the box and much more of a problem – back up.

There I was with weights on my weight again. I decided I would take a picture and Candace said she would take a picture of me with the bar. She did, but she wanted a better one and so I had to squat again. I thought black was supposed to be slimming … but the picture follows anyway.

For the WOD, I did attempt double unders and may have even gotten one. I mostly missed and I might have something that looks like whip marks on that fat behind since I seemed mostly adept at smacking myself with the rope.

For the AMRAP, the move was for a clean and the full squat with the jerk. I had planned on using just the bar, but with this new information I opted to use just a PVC pipe. Because I was using just a PVC pipe, I left the reps the same. My pushups were boy pushups with a abmat under my chest. I managed one full round and 23 more moves. I was hoping for more, but my heart rate was up over 170 a couple times as I tried to push through.

The last three minutes of double unders were the same as the first three minutes and so I have even more whip marks.

Although it might seem like I underperformed, I feel like I worked as hard as I could and I’m glad my heart is still working, my knee doesn’t hurt, I didn’t puke, and I had weights on my weight. Overall, I pleased with myself and hope to do even better tomorrow.

Weights on my weight

Weights on my weight