I’ve spent the last two evenings with a heating pad on my leg and doing intermittent massage to the sore muscle. It has been getting better. I still can’t break parallel with a squat, but almost. I tried a lunge this morning here at home and felt a pull, but not a sharp pain.

I decided I would go to the box and see how it went. I had looked at the WOD and realized this may be a foolish gesture, but if I don’t try, I surely fail. I prefer success. Even marginal or qualified success is better than doing nothing. So, off to the box.

It was 44 degrees this morning so I didn’t have to worry about overheating. That’s always a plus. The first part of the warm-up was a run, but I did a 800 meter row with my jacket still on. I did have to worry about freezing, at least for a few minutes there.

Next was Ryan complex down the mat and I could do a full lunge with my right knee to the floor, but it was a bit iffy with my left knee. I made the length of the mat and didn’t feel like I was injured again. Next was 10 cherry pickers, 10 pushups (and I did the boy kind with an abmat under my chest and still did the hand release like a good CrossFitter), 10 squats (not breaking parallel but much better than Tuesday), and 10 sit-ups. Then finish with dislocates and passthroughs.

I’ve done lunges with 5# over my head, but not today. It just seemed like that was the part that was hurting my leg the most and perhaps adding stress to it was a bad idea.

The WOD as written:
4 rounds of the following for highest round and total reps:
In 3 minutes perform the following:
Buy in:
30 second handstand hold
20 overhead plate hold walking lunges (45/25)
arms must remained strictly locked out overhead
penalty for losing form is a plate holding burpee
AMRAP knees to elbows with the remaining time
knees must contact elbows for Rx reps to count
Rest 3 minutes
Post highest round and total reps.

I’m not supposed to use the word “can’t” but there is so much I can’t do. A handstand would be one of those things. I was on my toes on a 20″ box and holding myself on my hands looking rather like a ^ but more lopsided, since my feet were much higher than my hands. On the second round, I encouraged Christine to count faster, but that wasn’t possible. On the third round, I wished I weighed less. By the fourth round, I just hoped I didn’t fall off the box.

As I said, no weights with the lunges. I was also going to scale this to half the reps, but once I started, I ridiculously thought I could do 15 rather than just 10 and once you choose, you’re stuck with it according to the voice inside my head that sounds exactly like Craig. So I did 15 each time.

My knees do not go to my elbows, but they do come waist high. My hands are on fire right now, but my reps were 16-21-20-15 for a total of 72, which I added wrong on my totals and put incorrectly on the board, cheating myself out of that last rep. By the end of the WOD, I was dripping and panting, but quite pleased with myself.

For someone who thought she wasn’t going to be able to do anything but show up at the box, I accomplished quite a bit. So, it was a good day and I’m really happy I went. I’m not sure about tomorrow. If my leg starts acting up after the adrenaline wears off, I will give myself the day off. If I don’t feel too bad, I may be back tomorrow.

Listening to what my body is trying to tell me might be a wise thing. I usually don’t, but there could always be a first time.