It is my day off and I realized about a month ago that I really don’t have to wake up at 5.15 on my day off and get to the box at 6 am. I can sleep in and get to the box at 8 am and it is all good. Well, in theory it is all good; in practice, not so much.

I can’t sleep in all that late because I’m a lark and always have been. I was up shortly before 6 anyway. I tried to fall back to sleep since I didn’t need to be awake, but that didn’t happen. So I got up and ate a banana (which I always do before working out) and drank a protein shake (which I only do on Fridays).

Then I wasted some time until it was time to head to the box. I could have been done and home again, had breakfast, and been showered. But instead, I was heading to the box.

The warm-up was a 200 meter run which I actually tried and made about 150 meters before beeping. Then it was Ryan complex down the mat and 10 kettlebell swings, 10 jump squats, 10 pushups, and 20 sit-ups. Then dislocates and passthroughs. We then did a couple couch sits and some leg swings to loosen up a bit.

Since I began with beeping, I beeped a lot more than usual during the warm-up. At least that may have been why I was beeping so much. Perhaps, earlier in the morning, I’m still sleeping and my exercise demands sneak up on my heart and it doesn’t really notice.

Anyway, the WOD as written:

Complete as many rounds as possible in 20 minutes of:
Run 400 meters
Then three rounds of:
5 Pull-ups
10 Push-ups
15 Squats

So, I “ran” which meant 90m of run and 110 m of walking and beeping like a crazy person. Then I did ring rows and girl pushups. Those squats just make me sick. I mean, they literally make me sick. I was so nauseous that I had to keep pausing to keep from puking (something I am loathe to do in public or even in private). I barely got through the first 30 moves.

I did the ring rows and pushups and started on the squats and nearly puked again. Kim suggest I do KB swings instead and so I did those. I finally got the third round in and was just about spent. My heart rate monitor had beeped continuously and I was so dizzy and nauseous that I was close to not being civil.

I sat still for a minute and then walked another 200 m without trying to run it at all. I came back and did the five ring rows, and got to 8 pushups before beeping. I finished out the last two pushups with a few seconds to spare.

So, my performance was pitiful. Just pitiful. Part of it was my heart and part my head. I worked as hard as I could and didn’t accomplish as much as I wanted. But I did better than if I had stayed at home and that’s probably all I’m going to be able to say about today.

The only other person working out was Ryan, of Ryan complex fame or the co-owner of the box. I hadn’t seen him since my free introductory class back at the end of August. He wanted to know if I was doing better and I honestly am, but my performance today might not look like it.

I couldn’t do lunges without a cane when I started. I couldn’t do ring rows in succession. Or pushups, either. KB swings were with a 2# weight and I was using a 10# real KB today. Everything I did was a great improvement over what I could do in August or September.

I’m never going to be all that “elite” but I am getting more awesome each day I show up. That’s enough for this little old lady.