I made a command decision to sleep in today. There is no reason for me to wake up at the crack of middle-of-the-night when I have the day off. So instead of doing the 6 AM class, I decided to go to the 8 AM class.

What I learned: getting up and being out of the house in 30 minutes is different than being up for about an hour and then leaving the house. I should have made my protein shake first thing and downed that. I have been drinking it on my return from the box because otherwise I was about to puke too often. But by being awake for longer, I was starving when I got home. The banana and hand full of smoked almonds didn’t last very long. I’ve had the protein shake, my coffee, two eggs, and an English muffin now and I could still eat more, but I won’t.

The box was cavernous today. There was me and the Coach and that was it. That has happened once before. I always feel a bit bad about that. When there is only me there, it seems like a lot of effort without much payoff. The poor coach could have gone out for coffee or something if only one person hadn’t shown up. No one else has ever said that to me, but I feel bad about it, especially considering my athletic prowess. Again, no one but me is saying this, but I feel like I’m wasting their time.

Today’s class
Every 40 seconds for 6:00 minutes (10 total reps):
1 Power Clean + 1 Hang Clean (full squat) + 1 Push Jerk @ 80%
Notes: Reps are at 0:00 – 0:40 – 1:20 – 2:00 – 2:40 – 3:20 – 4:00 – 4:40 – 5:20 – 6:00

3 rounds for time of:
10 KB Snatch + OH Lunge (R arm, L leg) 24/16kg
10 KB Snatch + OH Lunge (L arm, R leg) 24/16kg
20 Lateral Burpee Over the Box Jumps 20″
30 Jumping Squats 45#

There was a warm-up of a 250 meter row, lunging down the mat with the snatch movement thrown in for practice, squatting, and some stretches included.

I did the 6 minutes of power lifting stuff with my 22# bar and didn’t fall over backwards or forwards. I’m getting a bit better with the movement. At 4:40 my heart monitor beeped, but my heart rate was back down at 5:20. I was beeping at the end and I had to wait until about 6:05 to do the last round and finished up beeping, but finished up.

Coach Kim really scaled the WOD for me. She said she would rather I do scaled movements and do three rounds rather than just do two rounds and quit.

I did 5 each arm KB snatch and overhead lunge with a five pound weight. Then on the first round I did three burpees with hopping over a four inch off the ground bar between them rather than just jumping up in the air, then three pushups, 3 burpees, 3 pushups, 3 burpees, 5 pushups. I’m really not very good at those damn burpees. I then did 15 squats. My heart monitor went off with the burpees each time and at squat 12.

Next round, just lunge without weight, five on each side, then 20 pushups and 15 squats. My heart monitor went off once during the pushups but I had to rest more frequently, heart monitor notwithstanding. And then 15 squats and again my heart monitor went off at squat 12.

The up and down movement of squats always makes me dizzy. I’ve tried focusing on something far away and straight ahead and that doesn’t matter. I’ve tried just not looking at anything and that doesn’t matter. I’ve always gotten dizzy with spinning and the up and down isn’t any different. That’s part of my problem with burpees, but definitely not the whole problem.

I was offered an option of quitting after round two. I declined and did the second round over with just lunges and pushups. The pushups were five at time, rest, five more, rest, five more, arms like spaghetti and shaking with effort but got the last five in. Finish up was 15 squats and I managed them all without beeping. Time was 21.15 and as I looked at the clock, I began beeping.

Another one into the books. And another gold star for the athlete who keeps showing up.